Workforce Industry Training WIT
WORKFORCE INDUSTRY TRAINING (WIT)
The WIT program is for high school students who have interest in expanding their knowledge and understanding and/or careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). More specifically, the program is designed for mentoring and encouragement to prepare students for STEM-rich programs at universities, two-year technical colleges, and technical certificate programs. By participating in WIT, students gain exposure to higher education and career opportunities while building the confidence to consider further STEM education. While the founding emphasis is based in nuclear energy and technology applications, the program is broadly open to all aspects of STEM applications. The WIT program engages students through local sponsors within participating schools in the State of Texas.
As a WIT participant, you don’t read about what jobs are like — you experience them for yourself. WIT provides an application to what is learned in the classroom by taking students into the professional world.
Students in the WIT program:
- Enjoy mentoring activities by industry professionals.
- Visit local industry partners.
- Participate in industry job shadowing.
- Take part in professional development activities.
- Tour universities and community colleges.
- Participate in community service.
- Hear from and meet guest speakers.
- Have access to scholarship opportunities.